"Proud To Be An Indian"
India, officially the Republic of India is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh-largest country by area, the second-most populous country with over 1.2 billion people, and the most populous democracy in the world. Bounded by the Indian Ocean on the south, the Arabian Sea on the south-west, and the Bay of Bengal on the south-east, it shares land borders with Pakistan to the west;[d] China, Nepal, and Bhutan to the north-east; and Burma and Bangladesh to the east. In the Indian Ocean, India is in the vicinity of Sri Lanka and the Maldives; in addition, India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands share a maritime border with Thailand and Indonesia. The Capitalis New Delhi and Largest city is Mumbai. The Currency is Indian rupee (INR).
Some interesting facts are:
1. The world's highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh. Built in 1893 after leveling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level.
2. The world's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
3. India was one of the richest countries till the time of British rule in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus, attracted by India's wealth, had come looking for a sea route to India when he discovered America by mistake.
4. Until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds in the world.
5. The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982.
6. Islam is India's and the world's second largest religion.There are 300,000 active mosques in India, more than in any other country, including the Muslim world.
7. Varanasi, also known as Benaras, was called "the Ancient City" when Lord Buddha visited it in 500 B.C., and is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today.
8. Martial Arts were first created in India, and later spread to Asia by Buddhist missionaries.
9. Yoga has its origins in India and has existed for over 5,000 years.
10. The 2011 Kumbh Mela was the largest gathering of people with over 75 million pilgrims. The gathering was so huge that the crowd was visible from space.
11. Mawsynram, a village on the Khasi Hills, Meghalaya, receives the highest recorded average rainfall in the world. Cherrapunji, also a part of Meghalaya, holds the record for the most rainfall in the calendar year of 1861.
12. Bandra Worli Sealink has steel wires equal to the earth's circumference. It took a total of 2,57,00,000 man hours for completion and also weighs as much as 50,000 African elephants. A true engineering and architectural marvel.
13. In September 2009, India's ISRO Chandrayaan- 1 using its Moon Mineralogy Mapper detected water on the moon for the first time.
14. India is the world's second-largest English speaking country.
15. India was the first country to develop extraction and purifying techniques of sugar. Many visitors from abroad learnt the refining and cultivation of sugar from us.
16. Bhangarh fort, most haunted place in the world.
17. It's illegal to take Indian currency (rupees) out of India.
18. 70% of all the world's spices come from India.
19. Sex toys are illegal in India.
20. India is the world’s largest importer of arms, But India has never invaded or attacked a country.
21. Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi asked the first Indian in space, Rakesh Sharma, about how India looked from space. His response was our famous patriotic song, "Saare Jahaan Se Achcha" (Better than the entire world, is our India).
For more interesting facts visit:
Some beautiful places are:
For tourism details visit: +Incredible India , @india_tourism